FAQ related to One Rank One Pension
<< Previous Next >>

FAQs on Implementation of OROP vide Govt. Order dated 17.01.2013

Q: 1 Are these orders applicable to those pensioners also whose date of commencement of pension is exactly 01.01.2006 ?

A: Yes, these orders are applicable to all Pre-2006 pensioners/family pensioners i.e whose date of commencement of pension is on or before 01.01.2006.

Q: 2 The date of commencement of family pension in respect of a family pensioner is 01.04.2006 whose late husband had retired from the service on 31.08.1999. Will the family pension of the family be revised under these orders?

A: Yes, the family pension will be revised under these orders because the deceased soldier was a pre-2006 retiree.

Q: 3 It is being contended by some pensioners/their associations that the arrears on account of this revision should be paid w.e.f. 01.01.2006 as the orders are merely an amendment to GOI, MoD letter dated 11.11.2008. Please clarify?

A: As the provision of these orders are effective from 24the September 2012. Hence no arrears shall be allowed for the period prior to 24th Sep 2012.

Q:4 Will the additional pension also be revised accordingly ?

A: The improved pension will be the basic pension from 24.09.2012 and hence additional pension payable will also be revised accordingly by the PDA.

Q:5 The basic pension of a pre-2006 pensioner (Rank - Havildar , Group ‘D’) of Army having total qualifying service of 15 years is slated to be increased from 3500/- p.m. to 5301/- P.M. Is such a high increase in Basic Pension is in order?

A: The increase in BP from 3500/- to 5301/- P.M for the pensioner with particulars as mentioned above is in order. It is evident from the existing basic pension of 3500/-PM and the particulars given above that the PDA has not revised pension of the individual correctly w.e.f. 01.07.2009. The correct entitlement of the individual is as under:

Basic Pension w.e.f. :
Date Amount (Rs.)PM Ciruclar No.
430(as amended vide 482)

Q:6 In most of the cases neither the pensioner has applied to the PDA for revision of their pension nor any Corr PPO or instructions have been received by the PDA from the PSA. Please supply the proforma of application in this regard?

A: It has been clearly mentioned in the orders that the revision of pension by PDAs has to be made with reference to Pension Tables annexed to the orders. No further authorization from the PSA or any application from the affected pensioner is required to carry out the revision.

Q:7 The tables annexed to circular No 501 & Circular No. 502 start from QS of 15 years onwards. How to revise the pension of a pensioner having less than 15 years if qualifying years?

A:For Q:5 less than 15 year such case may be reffered to PSAs for issue of Corr PPO on Annexure 'B' and following elements of pension / type of pension are to be revised by PSA.

  • Special Pension
  • Invalid pension
  • Service element of disability pension in respect of PBOR discharged with less than 15 years qualifying service
  • Service pension of TA personnel irrespective of their QS service and
  • Service element of War Injury Pension and Liberalized Disability Pension

Q:8 Mr. ‘X’ who is a Hony Nb Sub, Gp ‘D’ pensioner having total QS of 24 years is already drawing a basic pension of 7750/- PM. However as per table – 4 (Army) annexued to Cir No 501, his basic pension w.e.f. 24.9.12 should be 7601/- PM. Please advise how to regulate such cases.

A: The existing pension of the pensioner in such cases might have been revised by PCDA (P) by issuing Corr PPO (s) based on some courts orders etc. No action by PDA is required in such cases.

Q:9 Mr ‘X’ is a DSC pensioner in receipt of two pensions, one for regular Army service, and another for DSC service. Are both these pensions to be revised by PDAs?

A: The pension for regular Army service will only be revised under these orders by the PDA. A reference for revision of pension for DSC service will be sent to PCDA (P). Kindly refer Para 6.3 of this office Circular No. 501.

Q:10 The tables annexed to Circular No 501, in respect of DSC pensioner seem to be incomplete e.g. the table in respect of Sep of DSC are only up to QS of 23 years. How to revise pension of a sep of DSC who has total QS of 24 years or above?

A: Sepoy in DSC have maximum engagement period up to 20 years only with the exception that the maximum term of engagement can be up to 23 years in case of pensioner retired on or 30.5.98. Hence QS in such type of cases may be restricted to the maximum permissible and pension revised accordingly. Period-wise complete list of maximum terms of engagement for JCOs/ORs is enclosed in Appendix-X to Cir No 501.

Q:11 There is no table annexed to Cir No 502 to revise Ordinary Family Pension for NOKs of DSC Personnel. Please advise how to revise such cases ?

A: The family pension in respect of DSC personnel who are in receipt of family pension for only DSC service are to be revised at the same rates as given for family pensioners of Regular Army. DSC personnel on “clerical duty” and “other duty” are entitled for family pension of regular Army personnel of group “Y” and “Z” respectively.(Kindly refer Para 5.2 of this office Circular No.502 dt.17.01.2013)

Q:12 What are the basic fields/data required to revise pension under these order?

A: The basic fields/data required to revise pension under these orders are as follows:

  1. Type of pension viz Retiring pension/service pension/ Ordinary Family Pension/ Special Family Pension/ War Injury Pension/ Dependant Pension
  2. Rank of the pensioner
  3. Group of the pensioner (only for JCOs / PBORs)
  4. Qualifying service (without weightage)
  5. Record Office
  6. Date of commencement
  7. Date of Retiremen

Q :13 How to look for the above information in the PPO or related record ?

A: In case of Post -86 retires all the information is generally available in the original PPO of the Pensioner. In cases where the required information is not available in the PPO or other record of the PDA, the missing information may be called for from the PSA concerned.

Q:14 In case of Pre-86 retires Qualifying service is generally not available in the PPO of the pensioner. Pl. advise the way out to regulate such cases.

A: The qualifying service in such type of cases can be looked for in the original Descriptive Roll of the pensioner or in the Corrigendum PPO(s). Original discharge book/certificate issued to the pensioner by the Record office is also an authentic source of such information, but all such case may be refered to PSAs for authorisation.

Q:15 Is capturing of information about Record office financially importance or can be done away with?

A: Following are the 4 major categories of JCOs/PBORs based on Record office.

  1. Naval Record Office
  2. Air Force Record Office
  3. DSC Cannanore Record Office
  4. All other Record offices except those mentioned above.

    Different tables are available to cater to these categories and hence the importance of information about Record Office can’t be done away with.

Q :16 Is dual Family Pension is admissible from both Army and Civil Side ?

A : After issuing GOI, MOD letter No. 1(05)/2010/D/(Pen/Policy) dated 17-01-2013, family Pension from both Army and Civil side admisssible w.e.f 24/09/2012.

Q : 17 Is Family Pension also payable for life to handicapped child of Armed Forces Personnel even after his/her marriage?

A : Yes, after issue of GOI, MOD letter No. 02(03)/201-D/(Pen/Policy) dated 17-01-2013.

Q : 18 How War Injury Pension is calculation in respect of Post 96 Invalidment/discharge cases?

A : War Injury Pension consists of two elements:-

  1. Service Pension
  2. War Injury Element
The procedure for calculation of War Injury Pension on discharge is as under

War injury pension on discharge :

Service element in respect of Commissioned Officers will be calculated on the basis of Q.5 and last pay drawn as the normal pension calculated.

War Injury Element:

War injury element will be equal to Rs. 3100 for PBORs Rs. 3800 JCOs and Rs. 5200 for Hony officers and officers for 100% disability. For lower percentage it will be reduced proportionality. However, aggregate service element and war injury element will not be more than last pay drawn. The Cap has now been removed vide Govt letter dated 19-01-2010 which is effective from 01-07-2009.

Q : 19 Are casualty pensionary awards being given in percentage basis wef 01/01/2006 as on the civil side?

A : Yes, wef 01/01/2006 all Pre-2006 casualty persionary awards are calculated on percentage basis i.e 30 % of minium pay in the pay band plus grade pay plus Military service pay plus “X” Group pay where applicable in the revised pay stracture introduced from 01/01/2006 for 100% disability and for lesser disability the disability element will be proportionately reduced.


Next Topic : Model Calculations
| Site Map | Contact Us | ©2007 PCDA(P)